Skip to main content

Is it too late to pursue legal justice for a police brutality incident that occurred in 2010?

Meriden, CT |

In Sept. 2010, when I was 16, police officers used unnecessary force to arrest me, although I did not resist. One officer threw me on the ground and handcuffed me, kicking me in the face and causing me to sustain various facial injuries. When he put me in the car, he repeatedly slammed my head into the Plexiglas divider. He also smacked me in the face and choked me until I cried, when he finally stopped. I have hospital records detailing my injuries and verifying that I was not intoxicated, as the officers claimed. The police report was altered, claiming a different officer was on the scene. I have at least five witnesses who can verify that this is all true. I didn't pursue legal action at the time, but I did file a report with the state police. Can I still take this case to court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


As far as the statute of limitations, probably not! Since you were a minor at the time, most states toll the statute until you are 18. Best bet is to consult with a CT personal injury attorney immediately. If you do not know any, happy to steer you to local counsel! Good luck.


Yes. Retain a civil rights lawyer

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer