Is it too late for my wife sue her sponsor for 125% the poverty level (Affidavit of Support)?

After my wife and her husband separated, she was not supported by her husband, who is her sponsor and signed the Affidavit of Support. She lived with me and I supported her. She was in the USA for over a year, from November 2010 to December 2011, without the support he is legally supposed to provide. We have been outside the USA for almost two year in December. She is now my wife and we are in Germany right now. I'm aware he does not need to support her now, but isn't he responsible for the time she spent in the USA without his support, or is it already too late to sue him for it?

San Diego, CA -

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

You've got it all wrong. Her ex-husband does not owe anything to your wife under the affidavit support. The financial responsibility and liability is only to the US government in case she obtained US government welfare or food stamps. There is no responsibility or obligation to private parties, including the sponsored immigrant.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

no, move on with your life

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Greenwood Village, CO

Perfect, texbook answer by Mr. Behar.

Edward Calvelo Pamintuan

Edward Calvelo Pamintuan

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

Agreed, Mr. Behar is right on the money.