Is it too late for a 5 year abusive marriage, that ended in divorce 30 years ago, become annulled now?

Middletown, NJ |
Filed under: Annulment of marriage

At the time, I could not afford an annulment, so I decided to end it in a divorce. I have
since remarried, but always felt, "if only I could've annulled my previous marriage." The reason I feel this way is because an annulled marriage is one that is not recognized, one
that never existed, and one that I truly wanted annulled because it was so abusive.

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

1. I don't believe a court would have jurisdiction to decide on a marriage that was previously adjudicated and where you have remarried. Perhaps if you married in a church they would annul it. I am not sure if that would help you.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

2. I agree with Attorney Navarrete - it is extremely unlikely that your divorce can now be annuled. If your marriage was a religious marriage, you may want to seek assistance from the Church.

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

3. I agree with was previously said by counsel, it is very unlikely that a Court would grant you one after this time. However, you may be able to seek a religious annulment. Best of luck to you.

The information you obtain at this site is not intended to be, nor is it legal advice. In order to obtain legal advice about your individual situation you should consult an attorney for advice about your situation. If you would like to discuss your situation further with myself or a member of my firm please contact me to schedule a consultation. Contacting my law firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.