Skip to main content

Is it to late to file a claim on an accident that was 6 months ago.

Rome, GA |

Is it to late to file a claim A car hit us from the back, hit & run, & dui

Attorney Answers 8

  1. I assume that this accident was in Georgia. If so, you need to talk with a Georgia attorney who can give you information on the applicable statutes of limitations. Good luck!

  2. If you know who the other person is, yes you can still file.

    Sid Weinstein, Accident Attorney
    Atlanta, GA

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Sidney Weinstein, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Sidney Weinstein,, (404) 522-3108.

  3. Assuming this occurred in Georgia, you have up to two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. You should consult with an attorney licensed in Georgia right away.

    The above is general advice regarding applicable state law. It does not create an attorney-client relationship in any specific case.

  4. Consult an attorney in GA regarding filing a claim and/or submitting this to your own carrier if you have uninsured motorist coverage. Don't delay any further.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

  5. No, you have two years from the date of the wreck to file a lawsuit if you cannot reach a settlement with the insurance company. We practice here in Georgia state-wide and used to represent insurance companies and their insureds a combined 29 years before we switched sides. I'm happy to speak with you and you can reach me at 478-254-3606.

  6. If this happened in Georgia you have 2 years although the longer you wait the less time a lawyer has to properly prepare a case. I'd be glad to review your case at no charge (404-768-3509).

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  7. It is not too late, but cases like this do not get better with time, so you should act quickly and retain an attorney. I wish you the best with your claim and your recovery.

    Timothy M. Klob
    Klob Law Firm

    Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia and Tennessee for non-Federal matters with a primary focus on personal injury and workers' compensation, and is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.

  8. You should take prompt action. Have you reported the wreck to your insurance carrier to preserve UM coverage? That should be done ASAP.

    If you have questions, call us at 404-531-9700.

DUI accidents topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics