Is it to late to do anything?

Asked 8 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

I slipped and slid down the wet stairs in my buildings foyer yesterday. I got up okay but this morning my left arm, shoulder and ankle are hurting and sore. My neighbor saw what happened and went back to her apartment to get rugs to drop on the steps. She said that another neighbor slipped and fell as well, earlier. I am going to the doctor today for xrays and pain meds. Is it to late to file a complaint? And who do I file it with?

1. Carol Lynn Schlitt

Pro

17

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your slip and fall. You are doing the right thing by going to the doctor today.
    It is not too late to take action. You should notify the building supervisor or management about the incident. You may have grounds to seek compensation for your injury. You would have to prove that you landlord caused your injuries due to negligence maintenance of the foyer. You would also need to show that you suffered injuries because of that negligence.

I would recommend that you speak to a personal injury attorney experienced with slip and fall cases as soon as possible. A good attorney could learn more about the particulars of this incident and offer you guidance on how best to proceed. There should be no charge about for this consultation. We handle many slip and fall cases and I have attached a link with more information of what you can do.

I hope this helps and that you are able to make a full and fast recovery.

2. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

16

Answered . It is NOT too late. You should contact an attorney who specializes in this area of law. Most who answer this question can help you.

3. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

15

Answered . As already indicated, for the landlord/managing agent to be responsible, it would have to be proven that they had "actual or constructive notice (notice = awareness} of the condition that caused your accident. The prior accident involving another tenant may help, particularly if it was in the same area of your fall and the building personnel were made aware of it, but failed to clean. There would also be the question of what time you fell as there were parts of yesterday where it was raining, and parts not. Having handled many cases such as yours, it can be said that the success or failure of your claim rests on additional details that you need to discuss with a lawyer. Don't delay, as consultations are free and you do not pay a fee to the attorney unless you are successful in your claim (this is called a contingency fee arrangement).

Jeffrey I. Schwimmer, Esq.
    20 Vesey Street - Suite 1200
    New YOrk, NY 10007
    (212) 344-6700
    JSchwimmerEsq@att.net
    JSchwimmerEsq@verizon.net

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

14

Answered . It is not too late, but the longer you wait to consult with an experienced NY personal injury attorney, the more difficult it will be to preserve critical evidence.

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

14

Answered . It's not too late but the key issue in any case will be whether the landlord had actual or constructive notice that the floor was wet. The prior fall will helpso it

6. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

13

Answered . Go to the Doctor find out what your injury is. Notify the superintendent and building owner of your injuries. It would have been helpful if you took photos of the wet steps, but even without them you should be able to find an attorney to take your case.

7. Craig A. Post

13

Answered . It's definitely not too late. Report it to the building super, property manager or landlord. Request the contact information for the buildings insurance company. If you are unable to obtain same directly from the building's representatives, the NYC Buildings Department may have the information, particularly if you are living in a multi-unit dwelling.

8. David Herman Hirsch

13

Answered . Why would it be too late if it just happened yesterday? Anyway, slip and fall cases are difficult, since you have to show that the folks who control the building premises knew of the condition that caused your injury or that it was there for such a period of time that they should have known about it, but did nothing to correct it. In any case, you need to consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you who can investigate and give you guidance as to how to proceed. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Pro

13

Answered . Not too late, have a local personal injury lawyer investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

10. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

11

Answered . It is not too late. See a doctor immediately and then contact a local attorney using Avvo's Find A Lawyer tab.

11. Yefim Rubinov

10

Answered . It is not to late to act. But do not delay to talking to a lawyer.

12. Michael R Crosner

10

Answered . Slip & fall cases require immediate investigation and the assistance of a local personal injury attorney. It is not too late to file a claim, - contact a local attorney ASAP - most will offer a free initial consultation.

13. Andrew T. Velonis

7

Answered . Yesterday? You have three years to file a complaint. You don't file it, your lawyer does. Get a lawyer, that's what we do.

14. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

6

Answered . Go to a doctor first, report it, then get back to me