Is it Texas law that both a husband and wifes must sign a release of claims on insurance form? This is my husbands claim.

Houston, TX |

I Broke my back in a car wreck in Nov 2012 , we were rear ended by an oil company truck driven by the owner . my husband had injuries shoulder , he was released to return to work Jan 1 , 2012 . I have not been released because I am still in horrible pain and have been referred to pain management doctor . The insurance company sent a form to settle my husbands portion of the claim since he as able to return to work . The agent included my name on the form and stated it was Texas law and standard since we are married . I am no where near able to return to work . I think if I sign the form I will release the insurance company from any liability for my injuries .

1. Do you or your husband have a lawyer? If not, you really need to consider talking to a qualified attorney. If you do, then this question should be directed to your attorney.

2. Dont settle or sign until you both have met with a lawyer. They likely are not paying fair amount for your husband, and they are trying to be sneaky about your claims. Consults with PI lawyer are free. Do it before you screw yourselves and regret it later.

3. You need to consult with an attorney before signing the release. Depending upon the language of the release you may be giving up your right to sue the responsible party. If the insurance company tells you the release does not include your potential claims, you need it in writing.

Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers.

4. DO NOT SIGN!! There is no such law. Your husband should also not sign until you have at least talked to a lawyer. If the settlement is OK, the lawyer will tell your husband how to handle the release. The fact that your husband returned to work may or may not mean the settlement he is being offered is good. Talk to a lawyer board certified in personal injury law by the official Texas agency--the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Look at my profile and call my office for an appointment. I won't charge you to talk about the case. Or talk to someone else. But sit down with a lawyer before either of you sign anything.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

5. Consult with a lawyer first before you sign anything. A lawyer won't charge you for an initial consultation.

www.AustinTrialLawyers.com

6. Don't sign anything. Without a lawyer, you will either get #1. no money or #2. a tiny nuisance settlement. Retain a lawyer and get the maximum compensation possible. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

7. There is no Texas law that requires anyone to sign a release under any cirmcumstances. A release is a contract which a party may choose to enter into or not, as he or she wishes. The agent is either lying to you or is simply ignorant of the law.

In any event, as all of the other responding lawyers have said, it would be a big mistake for either you or your husband to sign a release or any other document regarding your claims, for that matter, without first consulting a lawyer.

8. You really should talk with an attorney because the actual words on the release documents are far more important than a summary you could give online. You may have claims related to your husband's injuries that are distinct from your claims, but largely those documents are boilerplate and meant to "CYA" for the insurance. Your attorney is best equipped to advise you what to sign and when to ensure that you are not tricked into signing away your case.

9. I think your question is not whether you need an attorney, but whether your signature is needed. The short answer is, your signature is needed. The long answer is depending on your case, you may be entitled to a lot of money that you would otherwise miss, if you do not talk to an attorney.
    PJ Maadani
    www.attorneymaadani.com
    713-782-5353