Is it still considered slander if it is a fact, the truth and there is evidence to support it?

Asked over 1 year ago - 48653

I want the public to know about certain county and civil workers but am threatened with a suit of slander if I dare reveal. I have evidence on most.

1. David Gary Jones

6

1

Answered . Truth is an absolute defense to slander. If you have credible evidence to support your contention, you will likely be able to present a viable defense to the slander claim.

Please check the law of your state
  2. George Costas Andriotis

5

1

Answered . If it is a true statement than it is not slander.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Michael L. Van Erp

2

1

Answered . Truth is an absolute defense to a slander claim. In Michigan, there are other forms of defamation claims. One of them is called intrusion on seclusion, which involves obtaining and distributing information under circumstances in which the information should not be made public. Another is called false light, and involves truthful information which is circulated in a manner that implies something other than the true situation. All of the various defamation claims are rather complex, and there are few cut and dried rules on what is and isn't defamation. I would advise caution on what information you circulate, because even if you are passing on information out of a good motive, you can become entangled in a defamation lawsuit which you never saw coming.

Pro

3

1

Answered . Only a false statement of fact to a 3rd party is subject to a defamation suit. Truth is a complete defense to defamation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. David B Pittman

Pro

2

1

Answered . It is not slander if the statements are truthful.

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

1

Answered . Truth is a defense to a defamation claim. You may find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com, one of which deals with defamation issues. You can access the Guide through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  7. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Answered . I agree with all brother counsel that truth is an absolute defense to a slander/defamation claim. In addition, if you frame your comments as an opinion, they are also protected. Keep in mind however that this simply means that you can defend a slander suit because it sounds as if one will be filed. Since slander is considered to be an intentional tort, most insurance companies shy aware from defending cases like that. So if you are sued you may be left on your own to hire an attorney and pay the legal fees associated with that defense even if ultimately you may prevail.