Is it slander for an ex-landlort to discuss my visitors with my boyfriends mom (after eviction)

Watkinsville, GA |

My ex-landlord has become friends with my boyfriend's mother after eviction. She is feeding his mother false information about me. I am now pregnant and she has told his mother multiple men visited me at my apartment. His mother is now telling him I am a slut and that the baby is not his. This is extremely stressful for me.

1. Yes, that would be slander, unless the statements are true. You should consult with a local lawyer to discuss options, which could include sending a cease & desist letter or filing a lawsuit.

2. Probably. O.C.G.A. Section 51-5-4 defines slander as follows:

(a) Slander or oral defamation consists in:

(1) Imputing to another a crime punishable by law;

(2) Charging a person with having some contagious disorder or with being guilty of some debasing act which may exclude him from society;

(3) Making charges against another in reference to his trade, office, or profession, calculated to injure him therein; or

(4) Uttering any disparaging words productive of special damage which flows naturally therefrom.

(b) In the situation described in paragraph (4) of subsection (a) of this Code section, special damage is essential to support an action; in the situations described in paragraphs (1) through (3) of subsection (a) of this Code section, damage is inferred.

HISTORY: Orig. Code 1863, §2919; Code 1868, §2926; Code 1873, §2977; Code 1882, §2977; Civil Code 1895, §3837; Civil Code 1910, §4433; Code 1933, §105-702.

Consult with a local lawyer to discuss your options.

Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Unless you and Troy W. Marsh, Jr. have signed a written contract, Troy W. Marsh, Jr. is not your attorney, and you are not his client. www.marshlaw1.com troy@marshlaw1.com