Skip to main content

Is it slander and/or domestic violence for my brother to tell me, "I need help and to call me an ass, and stutter as I talk.

Woodbridge, VA |

Can I file a lawsuit against him without having a witness or a recording of him saying, that I am an ass after telling him some time ago not to say anything like that again. But I have a recording of a police officer saying that he heard him say that, "I needed help."

Attorney Answers 3


Not slander.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Mark as helpful

5 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment

Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson


Lawsuits are very expensive. When you hire a lawyer you are buying time. I always tell my client to pick your battles. Sometimes it is best to just walk away...


If people could sue others for saying mean things, the courts would be more overcrowded than they already are.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You can sue a ham sandwich, but a lawsuit would be fruitless here

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics