Is it sexual harassment when a third party attorney, at work, sends me one sexually explicit email?

Philadelphia, PA |

This attorney represents a property that I manage. I sent him an email regarding legal work for the community and he replied with a sexually explicit email. No other harassment has occurred.

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, it may be sexual harassment, but it is likely not illegal discriminatory harassment. If the attorney is not your employer, then it is not illegal discrimination. It may be a criminal offense, depending on how often it occurs and the nature of the messages, but that is unlikely. I would report this to your supervisor and ask that something be done. If your supervisor/employer requires you to continue to interact with this attorney, and the attorney continues to engage in harassing behavior, then you have a claim against your employer. Make sure you complain internally in writing - forward the offending email to your supervisor and ask that something be done.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    Employment, Business and Health Law
    One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies. /Christopher E. Ezold/ The Ezold Law Firm, P.C. Employment, Business and Health Law One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 660-5585 Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com www.ezoldlaw.com

2. The attorney is not to your employer but his actions are improper and inappropriate. You are to immediately complain to your employer and have the employer handle the matter.

3. No, it is not actionable as he is not employed by your Employer. There may be an issue if you tell your employer and your employer allows it to continue.