Is it safe to sign a waiver of probate of will?

Uncle Passed with no will in place. Assets are to go to his siblings. my mother was his sister & she has passed also. I understand i will get her portion., however my other uncle is asking for a waiver of probate of will...Should I sigh it . I am not close to this side of the family & not sure if I should trust them.Would I be signing my portion away? How can I make sure I dont give up my portion?

Wetumpka, AL -

Attorney Answers (3)

Douglas C Martinson II

Douglas C Martinson II

Probate Attorney - Huntsville, AL

Yes, that will allow the will to be probated sooner and without a hearing. You should get a copy of the will with the Waiver and if the will leaves assets to you, you should sign it.

You have 6 months to file a claim or to contest the will if you want.

Howard Robert Roitman

Howard Robert Roitman

Probate Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

Trusting is complicated. President Ragen used to say trust but verify, and so should you. get a lawyer and see what is in the estate.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing... more
Donald Joseph Quinn II

Donald Joseph Quinn II

Probate Attorney - Kansas City, MO

REtain your own lawyer to counsel you on this issue.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Featured Legal Guides


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Featured Legal Guides

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

by attorney

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.