Is it safe to get on a plane if you have a bench warrant in the state of ohio?

Asked over 2 years ago - Holland, OH

The bench warrant is kinda worring me.

1. Matthew Charles Bangerter

Pro

3

Answered . The only advice any attorney will be able to give you is to take care of the warrant. Speak with an attorney immediately and, depending on the facts of your case, he or she may be able to work out an arrangement with the prosecutor to have you come in, clear the warrant and get a bond. The conditions of your bond will typically include a restriction from leaving your county or state, so if you do get a bond make sure you also ask the court for permission to leave for your trip.

Matthew C. Bangerter
    38109 Euclid Avenue
    Willoughby, OH 44094
    (440) 946-LAWS (5297)
    www.bangerterlaw.com

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with Mr. Bangerter. If you fail to take care of the warrant, you will eventually be arrestd. The oly question is where and how long you will have to stay in custody before being returned to the court issuing the warrant. That is never a good position to be in. Why? Court's opinion is usually why should I let you out when we had to go to trouble of finding andd arresting you to get you here. Playing ostrich will be painful in the long run.
    But to your question. If you are getting on an airplane and flying within the confines of the US, I would not worry about the warrant. All the little TSA guys do is look at the ID presented to see if it is good and not fake and matches the flight ticket name. If you are going outside US, better see an attorney.

3. Mark M Cheser

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Inside the US a warrant search would, at least at present, be unusual. But with computer links with Homeland Security it would only take one button to run a check. It also depends on the nature of the warrant. FTA on a murder charge would obviously be more likely to be found than FTA on a speeding ticket.