Is it risky getting an immigration lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

I want to file a petition to bring my fiance to the US. After looking through everything that needs to be done, I realize it would be easier and safer to hire an immigration lawyer who knows what they're doing. However, is it very risky hiring someone? As a no decision could seriously incapacitate our lives. I have never hired a lawyer and am not familiar with the practices and what to look for. Thanks for any help you could offer.

1. Kira Gagarin

4

Answered . It is an important decision, you are right. It is good that you understand you need to hire an immigration lawyer (not a Notario or someone who says they are an expert/lawyer). Anyone you hire should be a member of AILA (American Immigration Lawyer's Association) and should answer all of your questions (or at least do their best to) at the consultation. Choosing a lawyer is a personal decision so I would suggest making a few appointments and seeing who you feel comfortable with. Good Luck.

Massachusetts Immigration Attorney
    www.gagarinlaw.com
    508 455 4241
    Framingham and Boston Offices Available

2. Ilir Kavaja

4

Answered . Hello,
    I can understand that the decision to hire an immigration attorney can be a daunting one. My suggestion would be to contact with a few attorneys, meet with them in person (if they offer free consultations) and ask many questions. Then hire the one you are most comfortable with and who seems to have the experience and expertise necessary to handle your matter.

Also keep in mind that while it is a great idea for attorneys to have memberships at several organizations, membership in such organizations does not reflect an attorneys abilities and expertise.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
    30 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA 02116

(617) 515-5545
    www.KavajaLaw.com

3. Laura Justine Jacobson

4

Answered . Petitioning for your fiance is a process that involves several steps and interaction with various agencies. It is possible to go through such a process without a lawyer, but having the help of someone who knows what they're doing will make the process go much more smoothly and ensure that you are doing the right thing at each step. When hiring a lawyer, it is important to look for someone who has the knowledge to help you. It's also important to work with someone you feel you can trust and who provides not only knowledge but good customer service. You can use a website like Avvo to look for lawyers who are knowledgeable and recommended by past clients.

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

4

Answered . Try speaking to a couple of experience immigration attorney about your case and see who you are comfortable with. It does not hurt to talk.

5. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . Do your research and speak to a few attorneys. retain the person who you feel more comfortable with.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
One or more answers have been taken down.