Is it required to submit previous I-797's from OPT for AOS application?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I'm currently on OPT STEM extension and I am preparing documents for I-485 (EB2-NIW). Is it necessary to include all I-797 approval notices from my original OPT and STEM extension? The problem is I can't seem to find the I-797 approval notice for my STEM extension. I don't even remember if I received it. I got the EAD card in April and didn't think much of the I-797. I do have both EAD's and the I-797 for the original OPT. Would copies of the EAD's be enough or would I get in trouble for the missing I-797? Thanks for your help.

1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

4

Answered . Should be okay as long as you have got the rest of documents. If you receive an RFE, contact an attorney.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com

2. Jennifer Lynn Bennett

3

Answered . As my colleagues have stated, you will most likely be fine with the copies that you do have. However, there are no certainties--it may all depend upon which officer in the government reviews your application. If the officer that reviews your application wants to see more documentation, he/she may issue a "Request for Evidence" (RFE) asking you for more documents. If you have any doubt, contact an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with the process. Good luck!

3. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

4. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . You will need to prove your employment was authorized or you risk losing eligibitilyt for adjustment.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys.