Is it required to have a police report in order to self petition under VAWA?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Sioux City, IA

Even though the U.S. citizen were to call the police, however, she were to note in the report the abuse he inflicted upon her, would this type of report qualify in aiding this woman's self-petition?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jacob Jan Sapochnick


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . In I-360 Self Petition the evidence submitted in the case is critical. It is important to review the evidence, in this case the report, before deciding if it will be helpful for your case. Please consult an experience lawyer before filing.

  2. C. C. Abbott

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleage. You need to contact an experienced immigration attorney to review this case. USCIS also provides helpful information about the VAWA protections and benefits that can be gained through its use.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to... more
  3. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It is advisable to contact an immigration lawyer who is experienced in VAWA to discuss your case.
    Yes the police report is but a piece of the evidence and there are several criteria to fulfill.

    If she is being abused, she needs help as soon as possible, there is no need to be apprehensive because of her immigration status.

    Of course i am assuming the USC is the abuser in this case.


  4. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . No it is not essential. The self-petitioner will need to show good moral character and will need to qualify for this category but this can be done with lots of different types of evidence including a police report, affidavits from Petitioner, friends and collegaues, medical and other professionals, legal documents such as an Order of Protection, pictures, emails -- whatever establishes the abuse or battery whether physical ro emotional. This may include threats not to file immigration papers, threats to have you deported or whatever.

    These are tricky cases though so best to be guided by an immigration attorney throughout the process.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,533 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,533 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering