Is it required in NC that an attorney draw up deeds for real estate transfers?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Austin, TX

I will be buying and selling several NC properties, and don't want to have any difficulties. Can I go by the deed into my name and just change the details on the deeds to my buyers?

1. Sean Christopher Markey

Answered . The history of Real Estate title issues and contested litigation is peppered by 'do it yourself' documents (and even attorney error). Nothing is required in life except death and taxes, as is said, but certain things are not recommended. Every single piece of property that you buy and sell will have a correct legal description and the correct reservations and exceptions necessary for the transaction. Any mistake in the drafting of these, if you are doing it yourself, will become fully your own fault and responsibility. I recommend getting in with a good commercial real estate attorney and seek a good rate with the understanding that it will be for ongoing work.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . An attorney is not required - but is highly recommended - to prepare your deeds.