Is it really fine to wait two years after getting married to a US citizen to file for adjustment of status ?

I have been married to a US citizen for a 6 months now, we barely make our living, we spoke to a lawyer, he asked for 5 thousand dollars for the whole process, plus 1500 dollars for the application . is it totally fine to wait like one more year before we apply , I am trying hard to save some money, I have heard from a friend that he waited 6 months but the officer was hard on him because of that and told him why did you wait that long ? so does that really going to trigger more questions or something like denying the case ? I am out of status and have no work permit

Columbus, OH -

Philip Alan Eichorn

Philip Alan Eichorn

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

5k is a bit high unless you have some very unique circumstances. You may want to consult with other attorneys and you'll likely find excellent representation at a much lower rate.

Robert Louis Brown

Robert Louis Brown

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

There is no legal issue with waiting to file your application, except that while it is unfiled you are unable to receive employment authorization and cannot travel until you receive status. Also, you will not begin your statutory period to obtain naturalization. there is an advantage to waiting for 2 years after having been married. You will receive the ten-year resident card as opposed to receiving the two-year conditional resident card. But the advantages to filing sooner in my opinion, outweigh the sole advantage of waiting.

Attorneys charged different fees. You may want to check with another attorney or to to see if they may offer a lower fee and/or fee arrangements. I know, our law firm will work with the client to set up a fee schedule that fits the client's budget. I believe there are several other firms that offer this as well.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

Immigration Attorney - Fort Myers, FL

I agree with my colleague. You should contact other attorneys and inquire as to what fees they charge for your case. Be careful of using notarios who claim they can file your papers but will only steal your money and make false promises. You can ask the attorney for her/his bar number and check to see if s/he is licensed in the US. Good luck.

Neil Ian Fleischer

Neil Ian Fleischer

Immigration Attorney - Cincinnati, OH

5K is a bit high for this market.. unless there are "issues" with the case. Waiting 2 years is not a problem
Find a lawyer you can understand and trust

www.immigrate2usa.com

Andrew Marino Bramante

Andrew Marino Bramante

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

The sooner you get lawful status and citizenship, the sooner your rights and privileges of citizenship will be secure. Within 90 days of filing your applications, you will get a work permit. This can help you with the financial issues. If you do not yet have children or significant joint assets, it is advisable to use a lawyer to help you prove the validity of your marriage, but $5,000 sounds unreasonably high unless you have some major complications that you have not mentioned.

Related Advice