Skip to main content

Is it possible to win an appeal against NYPD who did not hire me because of an undocketed arrest 12 years ago?

New York, NY |

I applied for a Police position, and during my background check I was told by my investigator that I was arrested in 2000. In 2000 I was taken to the police station in cuffs, I was 7 months pregnant and was told by the officer that I was not under arrest, I was just being held for questioning. After hours of being held at the police station, I was told I could leave and that my photo and finger prints would be destroyed. Young and pregnant I took their word and put the matter behind me. Now I have a degree in criminal justice and would like to pursue a career as a police officer. I was misinformed during that "arrest" and it is being held against me. NYPD violated me in 2000 and they are violating me now. I have a clean record and have never been in trouble.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    The below answer is not actually accurate. There is an established appeals procedure for denial of a civil service position in New York City, including as an NYPD officer. We handle these appeals all the time.

  2. This is not really a criminal issue. Unfortunately the NYPD can reject you for any non-discriminatory reason. My guess is this was for a failure to reveal the arrest. If you contact my office on Monday, I might be able to help.

  3. This isn't really a criminal defense question. If you weren't legally arrested the NYPD shouldn't be able to hold it against you even though they have a lot of discretion. You may want to reach out to an employment attorney and/pr repost this question in the employment section.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics