Is it possible to to arrange a payment plan for traffic ticket?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was issued a traffic ticket about 3 months ago. I failed to receive the initial ticket because I moved. 3 days ago I received the second letter issued. As a result they added 300 to my fine, which will be due in 10 days. However, I do not have the money to pay this in full in the given time frame. I called the court asking for the possibility of arranging a monthly payment plan but the lady only told me to either pay for it or schedule for a court date. I was wondering what's going to take place if I appear in court and if it is possible to arrange a payment plan there. Thanks

1. Kenneth Evan Chyten

Answered . The judge has discretion to permit you to pay the ticket in installments, and to forgive the $300 penalty.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS RESPONSE SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A LEGAL OPINION OR ADVISE, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. IN ORDER TO RENDER A LEGAL OPINION OR ADVISE, THE RESPONDING ATTORNEY WOULD NEED FAR MORE INFORMATION THAN HAS BEEN PROVIDED, AND WOULD NEED TO BE RETAINED PURSUANT TO A WRITTEN FEE AGREEMENT.

2. Salman Borhani

Pro

Answered . It really depends on the judge and the court you are in if you get a payment plan. But, based on what you wrote, you might have other issues. Did you get a failure to appear? That might have added to your fines and might effect your license. An attorney would be able to find these answers out for you, might be able to reduce the fines and resolve any license issues -- if you indeed got a "failure to appear".

Reading this answer and using this site does not create an attorney client privilege between you and the answering attorney. Please seek competent legal advice from a licensed practitioner of the law. The answers given on this site are general in nature and may not apply to your specific problem. They are given for educational purposes only and are not to be construed as specific legal advice.

3. Shawn Alan Arnold

Answered . Judges in my area will ask you how long you need to pay a ticket and will, within reason, give the requested time. Generally it is up to 90 days. I don't practice in your area, but consider giving this a chance.