Is it possible to terminate supervised probation early?

Is it possible to terminate supervised probation early? Hi I am charged with DWI, BAC 0.15 in Michigan. I will be doing pre-trial conferences in the coming weeks. I was planning to leave US and move to Bangladesh (my home town). Can the court allow me to move after I complete community services & pay fees etc. i.e. can my supervised probation be ended early or can it become a non-reporting probation?

Farmington, MI -

Loren M. Dickstein

Loren M. Dickstein

DUI / DWI Attorney - Southfield, MI

Moving out of the country is possible but the issue has to be handled just right. The court isn't just going to want to give you a free pass so that you can leave the country; however, if you are very proactive about addressing what will inevitably be the judge's concerns at sentencing, a very persuasive argument can be made for allowing you to go home. You will need to find a lawyer who is very familiar with the Farmington Hills District Court and who can help give you the best possible chance of getting permission for you to leave and discussing non-reporting probation as an option.

Ronald S. Pichlik

Ronald S. Pichlik

DUI / DWI Attorney - Battle Creek, MI

Provided you haven't caused any problems while on probation, and, most importantly, paid off all of your fines and monetary obligations you could discuss getting off your probation early with your probation agent. Discuss the matter in a cordial and respectful manner, highlighting the reason(s) for the desire to move. If your agent agrees, no problem. However, if your agent will not agree you may need to retain an attorney to assist you in seeking early termination of your probation. Good luck.

Ezra N. Goldman

Ezra N. Goldman

DUI / DWI Attorney - Southfield, MI

Yes. .15 is a rather significant blood alcohol level so the Court won't let you off scott-free but leaving the country resolves every judge's concern: If someone gets too light a sentence and commits the same offense again, people look back at the judge from his first case and ask "why did you let him off?"

Jules N. Fiani

Jules N. Fiani

DUI / DWI Attorney - Howell, MI

Yes they can terminate the probation early and yes it can become a non-reporting probation. Good luck with the process and visit www.jnfiani.com for more information.

Jules N. Fiani
Law Offices of Jules N. Fiani
810-227-7200
julesfiani@comcast.net

Robert Louis Miller

Robert Louis Miller

DUI / DWI Attorney - Newport Beach, CA

Thank you for your question.

Absolutely, if you can show "good cause" why moving would be in your best interests, and can either show that you can be supervised there or that probation should be terminated, a judge has the power to terminate probation early or make it non-reporting probation.

I hope that this helps, but if you have any other questions, feel free to post here. It's my pleasure to help in any way that I can, and best of luck to you.

Related Advice