Is it possible to switch from F1 to B1 or J1?

My I-20 is expiring soon but I couldn't finish my Thesis because of many reasons, I-20 cannot be extended. I am from France. Is it possible to maintain legal status in the US with a B1 or J1 without having to leave the country? What documentation I would need? How much it would cost?

1. Yes, see a lawyer.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. If timely done, yes.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. Yes, consult with an attorney. Must file change of status prior to expiration of current status.

Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012 http://www.thekalrafirm.com