Is it possible to switch from F1 to B1 or J1?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My I-20 is expiring soon but I couldn't finish my Thesis because of many reasons, I-20 cannot be extended. I am from France. Is it possible to maintain legal status in the US with a B1 or J1 without having to leave the country? What documentation I would need? How much it would cost?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, see a lawyer.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If timely done, yes.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Madhu Kalra


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Yes, consult with an attorney. Must file change of status prior to expiration of current status.

    Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012 http://www.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,117 answers this week

2,887 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,117 answers this week

2,887 attorneys answering