Is it possible to switch from asylum case to adjust of status through marriage during the individual asylum hearing

I have an individual asylum hearing and I am married to US citizen and I have a child, file I-130 pending for 5 months would it be possible to switch to adjust of status through marriage during the individual asylum hearing I have no money for a lawyer,and the asylum case needs a lot of money and work which I can not afford. Please any advice will be very useful

Dallas, TX -

Attorney Answers (4)

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

If you are eligible for adjustment of status, you should apply. You will still have to prove that your asylum claim was not frivilous.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

You should not wait until the Individual hearing to do so. Inform the Court and ICE that you plan to file for adjustment, file the applications with Court and ICE, pay the fees.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Everything is possible but to do that your attorney needs to take a number of preliminary steps and not to wait until the actual hearing.

Haroen Calehr

Haroen Calehr

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

please do not wait until the merit/individual hearing. you will only make the judge irate. you should contact the court clerk and ask for a list of pro bono attorneys who may help you. good luck.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Featured Legal Guides

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.