Skip to main content

Is it possible to sue someone for babysitting wages?

Eau Claire, WI |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

My neighbor's daughter comes over often because her parents are abusive. The city is already investigating them for abuse and neglect. However after business hours I'm the one up all night on the phone playing counselor because no one else will. Can I charge the parents for all those hours of time I've spent consoling their daughter from suicidal and self harming thoughts? Can I at least expect money for her food when she's actually at my home?

Attorney Answers 3


What you've done is very nice and a good thing. I would say that your actual chances of getting some payment for letting this girl in your house is about zero.

If you'd like to start charging, you need to contact the parents and tell them that the girl won't be allowed in your house or fed unless you come to an agreement about payment. I'd say your chances of getting them to pay you are are still about zero.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with the previous answer completely. I also wanted to add that if the girl is suicidal, she needs real help, and you should contact law enforcement if you believe that her threats are legitimate.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Very admirable to help this young girl. Don't think much of your chances in pursuing suit for pseudo babysitter wages

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney or if you do not have an attorney, consult with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics