Is it possible to sue my employer for not giving me law required breaks/working in un-safe conditions?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

The restaurant I worked for up until 3 days ago when I quit, was badly mistreating employees, neglecting Colorado labor laws and violating various health codes. I worked there for a little over a year and I almost never was allotted my 30 min. break (I worked a minimum of 6 hours a day)! This would happen a lot and never was addressed! The A.C. unit is broken and I am Anemic, which means I pass out when over heated easily. My boss bought me a spray bottle to fix the problem. Chemicals are un-labeled, No gloves are worn while working, cross contamination is occurring and the roof is leaking through the hood above our grill which drips down the wall next to their cooked sandwiches! I couldn't take anymore and had to resign. Please help me to find out what I should do and what route to go!!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should report their violations to DORA (Department of Regulatory Agencies) with the State of CO and any unsafe labor working situations to OSHA. There are both state and federal agencies that do the investigating and charging for you. You don't need to go to the expense of hiring an attorney.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Colorado Department of Labor has jurisdiction to investigate a lack of break time, under the Colorado Minimum Wage Order #29. Did you tell your employer that you had a medical condition and ask for accommodation? You might want to consult the EEOC or the Colorado Civil Rights Division about a possible claim of disability discrimination.

Related Topics

Workplace health and safety regulations

Businesses are required to meet certain workplace health and safety regulations in order to protect the wellbeing of their employees.

Employee rights

Employee rights in the United States include receiving legal and agreed-upon wages, working in physically safe conditions, and being free from harassment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,745 answers this week

3,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,745 answers this week

3,971 attorneys answering