Is it possible to stop paying maintenance support if the wife inherits over a million dollars before the divorce is final?

Chilton, WI |

Our children are over 18 years old and living on their own. We separated last April. In September I started paying her maintenance support, $1000 per month. She inherited over a million dollars and two houses. Before she inherited, we agreed to file bankruptcy together. I stopped paying my bills. I'm currently now 3 months behind. I asked for nothing in the divorce, except for a couch, TV and bow flex. My question is: Can maintenance support stop when we go back to court in a few weeks to finalize the divorce.

1. Definitely. The purpose of maintenance is to allow a spouse to enjoy the kind of lifestyle they had during the marriage. If she is inheriting that kind of money she has no need for maintenance. be sure and talk to an attorney so you get your way in court.

2. In all likelihood, yes. You should discuss the specific facts of your case with a knowledgeable family law attorney in your county.