Skip to main content

Is it possible to stay in USA after L1 expiration on ESTA?

New York, NY |
Filed under: US visas

I am planning to stay couple of days after expiration of my L1 visa, can I just apply for ESTA or I really need to go through the procedure of changing my visa to B2 status (trying to avoid additional costs and bureaucracy)

Attorney Answers 3


You cannot do a change of status to ESTA, you would have to leave the country.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You will need to file for a change of status from L-1A to B-2, on Form I-539. Cannot change to "ESTA"; can only initially enter the US on ESTA.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


No. Not possible.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics