Is it possible to send someone to jail who's a family member, and has been using your social security number for years?

San Fernando, CA |

This question is on behalf of my mom who's been living with her brother for the last 27 years. Since she's been living there, he's been using my mom's social security number and has taken her to bankruptcy twice. The problem is that he is a controlling type of person and because my mom's limited in fully understanding, speaking and writing English, he takes advantage of that. He has made several credit cards under her name in the past 20 years, using her name and SSN, and he signs her name in places where she can sign her name (she does know enough English to read, write and sign). She never gave him explicit permission to use any of her personal identification or sign. Can my mom send him to jail for fraud, and get her SSN changed so he does not have her information anymore? Please help!

1. Call the authorities and report the situation.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

2. Yes, its a federal crime. Contact social security or the FBI.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

3. She should ask for a replacement card and give reason why. You will need to help her.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice. Please contact us at 954-916-2667 or Dugandisabilitylaw.com in Florida for a FREE evaluation and legal advice pertaining to your particular claim.

4. I am so sorry. I know very well how terrible is people to take advantage of other people that do not speak english as a first language. Not only they speak slowly and loudly to you but they also treat you like a stupid at least person. Speaking english with an accent as a second third even fifth language does not make you stupid or ignorant. Your mother read writes and speaks English. Your manipulative uncle took advantage of her because for the last 27 years says to your mother than nobody understands her and nobody wants to help her since she is "different" than the non speaking with accent people. That created the uncertainty and the need for her to trust and even leave your uncle to manipulate here and he will continue to do so because your mother let him to do that.
    You see people with an accent are treated differently and only if she speaks with other people that understand her mentality maybe she will do something about her situation.
    She needs to get away from this circle of self destruction that was created by the uncle.
    As an attorney and Fraud Examiner that speaks english as my fifth language I know what she is going through trust me. You need the assistance of an attorney that your mother will trust . My office can help .

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.

Social security topics