Skip to main content

Is it possible to reopen a case that was closed and deemed suicide, when it could possibly have been a murder?

Elberton, GA |
Filed under: Homicide

I am the daughter of a woman who was shot and killed in 1987. I was almost 4 years old and was in the house. I remember a lot of things about that day, and I am 99% positive that it was my father. He was never charged with anything, even though it was visibly clear that she had been beat into a corner that day. 25 years later I want to find some kind of answer, or justice for my mother's sake, and mine as well. What actions should I take to find the answers that I need?

Attorney Answers 2


You should start with a victims' advocacy group in your area. They will be able to help you figure out what to do.

Crime Victims Advocacy Council - Atlanta, GA (770) 333-9254

I am sorry for your loss and good luck.

Mark as helpful


I am very sorry for your trouble. Your best bet is to contact the police agency in the jurisdiction your mother was discovered. Ask to speak to a homicide detective, or, call the office of the prosecuting attorney's office and ask to speak to a victim advocate.

If there is anything else I can do, I will be happy to talk about it further PRO BONO, which for me means 'for the good of it', and for you means FREE.


James Regan, Esq.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics