Is it possible to reopen a case that was closed and deemed suicide, when it could possibly have been a murder?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Elberton, GA

I am the daughter of a woman who was shot and killed in 1987. I was almost 4 years old and was in the house. I remember a lot of things about that day, and I am 99% positive that it was my father. He was never charged with anything, even though it was visibly clear that she had been beat into a corner that day. 25 years later I want to find some kind of answer, or justice for my mother's sake, and mine as well. What actions should I take to find the answers that I need?

1. Cindy Bassett

Answered . You should start with a victims' advocacy group in your area. They will be able to help you figure out what to do.

Crime Victims Advocacy Council - Atlanta, GA (770) 333-9254
    cvaconline.org

I am sorry for your loss and good luck.

2. James Regan

Pro

Answered . I am very sorry for your trouble. Your best bet is to contact the police agency in the jurisdiction your mother was discovered. Ask to speak to a homicide detective, or, call the office of the prosecuting attorney's office and ask to speak to a victim advocate.

If there is anything else I can do, I will be happy to talk about it further PRO BONO, which for me means 'for the good of it', and for you means FREE.

Sincerely,

James Regan, Esq.