Is it possible to renounce your US citizenship while on probation?

Asked 4 months ago - Houston, TX

Hi, I have dual US and Cayman citizenship. I am currently on 5 years felony probation for a non-aggravated DWI and I would like to renounce my US citizenship. Since I'm on probation, can I be legally prevented from doing this? Thanks.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

9

1

Answered . Your being on probation has no bearing to renounce USC or lack thereof. Today renouncing USC is no longer a simple matter and carries with it a heavy burden known as an "Exit tax" for the government's presumption is that one is renouncing to avoid paying income taxes. Thus, I urge you to consult with a tax attorney for custom tailored advice in your particular situation, if you own or possess any type of property or assets. If the US government concludes that the main reason for your renunciation is to avoid paying income tax, you will be barred from re-entering the US for life. Otherwise, renunciation is a simple matter done at any US Consulate overseas.

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

9

Answered . You may renounce your citizenship provided you follow the steps outlined by the law. Probation has nothing to do with it, unless there are facts that are not disclosed here. I just do not know how it will help you...

3. J. David Swaim Jr.

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . The problem, which no on has bothered to mention, is that you cannot renounce US citizenship while you are in the US. You must go to a US consulate outside the US. The nonsense expressed by Mr. Behar from San Diego, and the many questions he has tried to answer on AVVO, make me wonder about the how people in California become lawyers.

4. Scott Thomas Helsper

Pro

8

Answered . Here is a link regarding renouncing your US citizenship.: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizen...
    Follow the instruction carefully. If you have any questions, contact an immigration attorney.