Skip to main content

Is it possible to relocate while receiving workers comp?

Philadelphia, PA |

Due to my injury and the decrease of money I now receive I can no longer afford to live where I am in Philadelphia. I have family in Arizona and been thinking maybe it's best I relocate there. I have another court hearing in August, I think it's because WC is trying to stop payments and I have a meditation hearing in November. The surgeon said my back injury is not well enough to return to work.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Yes. You have a life, so go live it. Timothy and Ron raise good points for you to consider, but these are things that you have to deal with (after you move). If you have a lawyer, sit down with them before the mediation and discuss this issue with them (before you move). If you don't have a lawyer, get one. If you need to hire an attorney, consider the lawyers who regularly contribute to Avvo. Best of luck to you and have a happy and safe 4th of July!

  2. The assumption is that you have filed a claim and currently have an attorney working on it for you. If that is the case there should not be a problem with leaving the state. However, it could create some complications as your case progesses if you are required to appear for an IME, a mediation or any number of other dates. Before leaving you should let your attorney know so that they can plan accordingly. If you have not hired an attorney to handle your claim you should do so as quickly as possible.

    Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in Missouri only.

  3. It is possible. However, there are many potential issues that may be raised by the defense in the future including but not limited to voluntary removal from the work force, labor market surveys, and job offers. Furthermore, you may have trouble obtaining medical treatment in Arizona, and if you do find a doctor willing to handle your treatment, they may not be willing to accept PA WC payment rates. If you have a lawyer, you should discuss these issues with him/her prior to making any decision. If you do not have a lawyer, you should seriously consider getting one.

  4. There are many advantages to moving out of state. I highly reommend it to my clients receiving Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation benefits. .