Is it possible to receive a political asylum

Denver, CO |

I came from Belarus for treatment of my son 20 mounts old, because our doctors badly concerned us just because he had an open heart surgery in the USA a year ago. We collected money for the surgery, and after that about us spoke bad words on the Internet,workers of unique children's cardiology in Belarus, there was article in the newspaper they blamed us that we left. We need to control his heart all the time. Each time when we came on inspection they blamed us for this surgery in the USA.the last time after they told that we should do one more open heart surgery to repeat his heart after bad surgery in the USA, we have left here, and here doctors told that everything is ok and all we have to do is grow up and do sport. In Belarus such children concern as invalids,he has such certificate

1. It is difficult, but possible to obtain asylum for parents of a mistreated child in the absence of some sort of political opinion or well defined and visible particular social group. You need to consult with a highly experienced immigration attorney with success in representing Belorussian asylum cases. Good luck!

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. It is very difficult to give a meaningful answer without more facts. Do you mean to say that because you turned to the US for treatment, you were viewed as being disrespectful of Belarus? Or do you mean to say that your son needs asylum because he might be treated badly in Belarus because of his medical condition? You should talk to an immigration attorney that handles asylum cases and discuss all the facts of the case. Please do not delay,

The information you obtain from this response is not legal advice. You should consult a qualified attorney for advice regarding your individual case and situation. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind.

3. Everything is possible It is even possible to become an astronaut if that is what one wants. On the issue of asylum you need to be legible to be granted. I am not prepared to render an opinion on your eligibility on a public blog. It would neither be prudent nor productive. It would also present a mis-service to you given the complexity of the asylum question. Hire an immigration attorney and have this conversation in the privacy of the attorney's office, not under the prying eyes of the entire world on this or any other public forum.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

4. It is impossible to say whether you are eligible for asylum based on the limited information you have provided. When I meet with a potential client to discuss the possibility of asylum, it frequently takes two hours or more to obtain all the relevant facts necessary to give them my opinion, because asylum law is extremely complex and little details, dates, etc., matter quite a bit. Avvo is not a substitute for individual legal advice. If you want to have any chance at all, hire an experienced immigration lawyer (not a notary, immigration consultant or someone's friend who says they "do asylum.")

Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.