Is it possible to press charges against a public school district for the administration of purposefully unfair tests?

Rochester, MN |

My school district offers a series of credit by assessment tests which allow students to receive credit for a class by taking a test that shows they have already met the outcomes of the class. Students often try to test out of reading class, as many students are overqualified for this class but it is still required for graduation. In an effort keep students in the reading program the school district purposefully created the reading credit by assessment test to be near impossible to pass. After questioning several school officials I finally got an admission from the executive director of curriculum and instruction that this test was purposefully made unfair to students. As a result many students have wasted significant time taking the test and sitting through an unnecessary reading class.

More likely you obtained an admission that the test was purposely made difficult for students to pass. But either way, these facts do not support a sound lawsuit.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law