Is it possible to move out of state and continue to seek social security disability benefits?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My mother applied in Florida for the first time not too long ago and got her first denial letter. Now she's supposed to file an appeal. Is it possible for her to move up north to stay with me since she's not able to do much on her own and doesn't have enough help from anyone, and at the same time continue to seek the benefits? Thank you so much

1. Inga L Stevens

7

Answered . Sure, just make sure she lets her local (in Florida) office know the new address, and they can transfer the case.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . Sure that is done all the time

3. Clifford Michael Farrell

5

Answered . My colleagues are correct - the answer is yes. Make sure the appeal is filed within 60 days and make sure to let SSA know the new address.

4. George T. Sink Sr.

4

Answered . Absolutely. Because Social Security Disability Benefits are a Federal program, the criteria for eligibility and appeals process are basically the same in every state. As the other attorneys have already suggested, your mother would need to contact the local SSA office and notify them of her change of address. For assistance in filing for an appeal, she can consult with an attorney for help with the paperwork, and to improve her chances for receiving the benefits she needs.