Is it possible to make a personal injury claim after a hit and run accident?

I was hit by a driver who fled the scene before the police got there, and I didn't get a good look at the driver or car. Is it possible to file a personal injury claim in a situation like this? .

Durham, NC -

Bradley A. Coxe

Bradley A. Coxe

Personal Injury Lawyer - Wilmington, NC

If you don't know who hit you, it is impossible to file a suit against him. However, if you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may have a claim against your insurance company for your injury and damage. UM coverage is mandatory in North Carolina, unless you specifically opted out of it. Check your policy and make a claim with your insurance company or agent.

Sponsored Listing
William David Owens

William David Owens

Personal Injury Lawyer - Raleigh, NC

Mr. Coxe provided excellent advice above. I would add that, even if you do not have uninsured motorist coverage on your policy, I would not give up. Depending on your facts, you may be insured under other policies. For example, if you reside with any blood relatives who have uninsured motorist coverage on their auto policy, you may be able to recover under those policies. This is just one example. If you were injured in this collision, I would certainly recommend that you contact an experienced injury attorney for a consultation.

William Owens
Owens & Miller, PLLC
4030 Wake Forest Road, Suite 300
Raleigh, NC 27609
Phone no: (919) 719-2750
Fax no: (919) 516-0063
www.owensmiller.com

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.