Is it possible to make a personal injury claim after a hit and run accident?

Durham, NC |

I was hit by a driver who fled the scene before the police got there, and I didn't get a good look at the driver or car. Is it possible to file a personal injury claim in a situation like this?

.

1. If you don't know who hit you, it is impossible to file a suit against him. However, if you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may have a claim against your insurance company for your injury and damage. UM coverage is mandatory in North Carolina, unless you specifically opted out of it. Check your policy and make a claim with your insurance company or agent.

Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. The questioner should not base any decision on the answer and specifically understands and agrees that no client-lawyer relationship has been established between Bradley A. Coxe or Hodges & Coxe PC and the inquirer.

2. Mr. Coxe provided excellent advice above. I would add that, even if you do not have uninsured motorist coverage on your policy, I would not give up. Depending on your facts, you may be insured under other policies. For example, if you reside with any blood relatives who have uninsured motorist coverage on their auto policy, you may be able to recover under those policies. This is just one example. If you were injured in this collision, I would certainly recommend that you contact an experienced injury attorney for a consultation.

William Owens
    Owens & Miller, PLLC
    4030 Wake Forest Road, Suite 300
    Raleigh, NC 27609
    Phone no: (919) 719-2750
    Fax no: (919) 516-0063
    www.owensmiller.com