Is it possible to have my 6 months waved.

Asked over 1 year ago - Potsdam, NY

I was charged with 4th degree grand larceny by means of extorsion a class e felony. I was sentenced to a 6/5 splits 6 months in jail and 5 years felony probation. The judge stayed the jail time for me to go to rehab and now im in a halfway house and am wondering if its possible to have my sentenced waved because incarceration would be detrimental to my recovery.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . If you plead guilty to the top charge (and it sounds like you did), the Judge has control over the sentence so it is possible ..... your lawyer needs to make a very good argument at sentencing, hopefully backed up by letters showing that you did well in rehab and are doing well at the halfway house. If you plead to something less than the top charge the DA would have to approve.

2. Edwin Drantivy

2

Answered . Probably not, but it is worth making the request. Discuss your options with a criminal defense attorney in a confidential setting.

3. Arkady Bukh

Pro

2

Answered . Of course discuss this option with your attorney and as stated above it might be beneficial to ask the judge. It is hard to say how it will go, but since you were convicted of larceny, rehab may not make a difference with one judge where it will with another.