Is it possible to have back child support modified?

Asked about 1 year ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

This person owes on a couple different cases plus the DOR. I have helped to pay here and there to stop his license from being suspended but it can't go on. His piece work in construction does not come out to much. Clearly, his child support was set when he was making $25. an hour way back when . Plus he had been in prison for over 4 years during this time as well. We want to pay to keep the license up so he can work...all of the children in question are 18 and up.

1. Eileen D. Jacobs

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . Back child support, in general, cannot be modified, but the repayment terms may be able to be modified.

I suggest that there be a consultation with an experienced family law attorney, who can review all of the pertinent court orders. In that way, there could be a specific answer to the question posed and not just a general statement that may or may not be applicable to your friend's case.

Nothing in this post should be considered as specific legal advice, since the attorney has not been made aware of all of the facts and has not reviewed the pertinent documents. Further, this post is for informational and educational purposes and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
    Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33607
    (813) 877-9600
    Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
    Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
    (727) 787-6595

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

5

1

Answered . Yes he can bring it back to court and attempt to modify it to a different amount. I would recommend he contact a local family law attorney to discuss more in depth. Many attorneys found here on Avvo offer free consultations.

3. William Charles Rosenfelt

5

Answered . To be successful, he will need to have an attorney. It is very difficult, in my experience, to have back child support modified. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

4. Brent Allan Rose

4

Answered . Back support can almost never be modified. The rule is that you have to modify support when the change (like a job loss) occurs, not years later. However, one appellate court did once rule that you should wait until a prison term ends before seeking to modify. You couldn't wait until years aftyer the prison terms ends, though.

5. John Arthur Smitten

3

1

Answered . You have to file a motion to reset the payback towards the arrears amount and to establish the remaining arrears.