Skip to main content

Is it possible to have an Unsealable Felony reduced to a Sealable Misdemeanor after Probation has been completed?

Orlando, FL |

My teenage son plead guilty to a 2nd degree Felony Sex Crime. As a Juvenile he was determined to be "delinquent" and ordered to take classes and placed on probation until the classes are complete. Once he has been released for successful completion of the class, is it possible to have the charge reduced to something that can be sealed or is less severe?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It doesn't appear this is a lesser-included component:

    § 14‑27.5. Second‑degree sexual offense.

    (a) A person is guilty of a sexual offense in the second degree if the person engages in a sexual act with another person:

    (1) By force and against the will of the other person; or

    (2) Who is mentally disabled, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless, and the person performing the act knows or should reasonably know that the other person is mentally disabled, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless.

    (b) Any person who commits the offense defined in this section is guilty of a Class C felony. (1979, c. 682, s. 1; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1316, s. 7; 1981, c. 63; c. 179, s. 14; 1993, c. 539, s. 1131; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2002‑159, s. 2(c).)

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. You have 60 days from the date of the plea to request a modification of sentence but once he enters a plea to an offense the only way to try to get the offense changed is to move to withdraw the plea.

  3. Its not likely!

  4. Not without withdrawing the plea, which is difficult and even if successful, would reopen the case and the state would still prosecute.

  5. No honestly it is not.

    Free Consultations can be made by calling 407-617-1064. Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make more accurate legal determinations on your matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed by the attorney and client.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics