Is it possible to have a DUI from 23 years ago reduced to a lesser charge?

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I tried to obtain a Nevada drivers license only to find out that my license from Minnesota had been canceled 23 years ago for a DUI. I was in the process of moving to NV and I didn't require a license until now because I lived close to work or worked from my home during those 23 years. They are requiring I pay $630 fine, get a alcohol assessment done by a hospital, attend 3 months of AA meetings and get 5 letters from friends showing I don't drink. I had a partying problem back then, not a drinking problem....which I have long since out-grown. Thank you for your time.

1. David R. Fischer

Pro

4

Answered . Was the DUI from NV or MN? There is 1 year statute of limitations on the filing of DUIs...was the DUI filed 22 years ago?

2. William Berry Palmer

4

Answered . It is possible but your better and cheaper option it to do what they have asked you to do. And then have your records sealed.

3. Thomas D. Boley

3

Answered . If you have not been found guilty of this DUI, you should get an attorney right away and set the case for trial. It is very unlikely the State will be able to prove the case 23 years later. If you have been found guilty, then you should do the requirements.

4. Boris A. Avramski

Pro

2

Answered . I will second Mr. Palmer advise. It will be much cheaper for you to do what NV DMV wants, than to try and find out what happened in MN. If you were convicted of DUI 23 years ago they probably ordered you to do some of the things NV DMV is asking you to do now. If you have evidence of completion of the requirements, you can present them to NV DMV, if you don't, then you must do whatever they want you to do. The way they see it, driving is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, you have to jump through all the hoops they want you to jump through.

5. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

3

Answered . If you've already been convicted, it's going to be next to impossible to try to have it reduced now. If the case is somehow still pending, hire a locally experienced DUI attorney to deal with it, as it most likely would get dismissed. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen