Is it possible to have a divorce petition sent to my spouse through certified mail with a signed receipt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I understand that they need to be served, but if I send it certified mail and signed receipt is that sufficient enough for the courts. I read somewhere that it could work, but I would like to double check. Looking for the cheapest way to get this served.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Vicki Elaine Wiley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The only way you can get past having him served by a process server, or constable is if he will sign a waiver of service. If you are not on goid terms with him it is an investment in your future to have him served. Good luck.

    This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person... more
  2. Mark Anthony Cohan


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That will not work. You need to have a licensed process server to serve your spouse in the state of Texas if you are in a contested divorce.

  3. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Best to have personally served. You are trying to save dollars but the time involved is going to be more. Pay someone else for their time and go do something else.

  4. Michael S. Martinez

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . Assuming this is a contested divorce, you need to have him served via a private process server. Good luck!

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,546 answers this week

3,164 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,546 answers this week

3,164 attorneys answering