Is it possible to go forth with a citizenship case with out a birth certificate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Everett, MA

My Husband has an old criminal record we are trying to find a lawyer but everyone keeps saying he needs his birth certificate. Honduras says he doesn't exist in their system... HELP!!!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . USCIS knows full well that whenever a birth certificate is not available one can present "secondary" evidence, e.g. a baptismal certificate, etc. and of course a national passport, even if expired.

    For a list of acceptable "secondary" evidence, go to USCIS' website and download the instructions to Form I-130 "Petition for Alien Relative". (And if you can find your old Honduran passport, don't even bother doing that..

    And do look for a good "abogado" in your area!
    Buena suerte hermanos!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I believe it's a repost. Please see my earlier answer.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  3. Robert Winford Carpenter

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are ways to use other documents, how dxid he enter the US?

    This is not legal advice until I am retained and have reviewed all facts about your situation.
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

The process of deportation

The deportation process can be long and frustrating, but there are some important things to remember as you navigate the immigration courts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,876 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,876 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering