Is it possible to get fired due to accusations of stealing?

Hicksville, NY |

I'm just wondering because I was fired from my job by the owner because I was accused of stealing and their "evidence" are all circumstantial and also the owner told me that I have to pay her back $1000(which honestly I don't know where did that amount came up and the owner did not give me a reason as for why) AND also she told me that she would not pay me for my 2 last paycheck and that would hold on the check. I'm just wondering if that's even legal to hold someone's paycheck?

Because your boss did not go to the police, I doubt she has any reason to think you stole such a large amount. You can apply for unemployment benefits, and also file a complaint with NYS Dept of Labor, wages and hours, for your last paycheck. They are located in Garden City.

Unless you had a contract, you were an at-will employee and therefore could be fired for any reason or no reason so long as it was not an unconstitutional reason such as based on race, gender, religion, etc. If the employer thinks you stole that is a valid reason to fire you but you can pursue the salary they are withholding.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

1. Go to the department of wage enforcement at the NYS dept. of labor for help getting your paychecks.
2. Yes, unless you are in a union or are a civil servant you may certainly be terminated based upon circumstantial evidence that you have committed theft.
3. Your employer may take you to small claims for the $1,000.00, but I doubt it.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/employattorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

If you do not have an employment contract, then you are likely an employee at will and can be fired in this situation, even if it is untrue and unfair. With respect to your pay, your employer is not entitled to withhold your pay for work that you performed. You may want to contact the Department of Labor regarding that issue.