Skip to main content

Is it possible to get custody of a grandchild in Georgia?

Covington, GA |

Child has stayed with grandparents/father at paternal grandparents home for the majority of the past year. Mother shows little interest in child except for how she can use him to harm grandparents/father. She offers custody to father then changes mind. Now she has threatened grandmother to send him to her father in another state just because I was ill with a serious virus, running a fever and advised to rest for several days and could not watch him. Both parents have drug and/or alcohol problems.

Attorney Answers 1


I am unsure of how the child came to live with you, but you may consider filing a private deprivation action in the Juvenile Court of which ever county you live in, Rockdale or Newton. When you file a private deprivation action you tell the court what is going on with the parents - both parents, not just her, your son as well. You tell the court that they have not provide support for the child if they have not. You tell the court that they have not provided shelter for the child if they have not. If they are using drugs and or abusing alcohol, you tell that too. You are in a special class of folks that the court looks to for assistance regarding children whose parents are operating like what you described. The court is concerned with what is best for the child, as you express you are to, so take the matter to the Juvenile Court and protect the child. The court will also give the child an advocate who can act on behalf of the child and who knows the law. You may need to get an attorney of your own, but give this some consideration.

This information is of a general nature and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advise. You are encouraged to contact and discuss your matter with an experienced attorney to more specifically address your legal needs.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics