Skip to main content

Is it possible to get all my charges from DIFFERENT cases expunged without waiting in between?

Bowling Green, KY |

I live in the state of Kentucky.
My record is as follows:
Case 1- Bowling Green, KY
Alcohol intoxication 1st O- pre-payable citation
Case 2- Louisville, KY
Shoplifting- dismissed
Case 3- Lousiville
Alcohol intoxication- dismissed
Disorderly conduct - dismissed
fleeing and evading - dismissed
resisting arrest - dismissed
Case 4- Bowling Green
Poss. of Mar- dismissed
Poss. of para- will be dismissed after i complete 50 hours of community service.

All these charges are dismissed (or will be). may i get all these expunged even though there are multiple cases because ive heard your only allowed to expunge one case (is this only for certain states?) because in the kentucky statute for expungement it doesnt say anywhere that you're only allowed one.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    All dismissed misdemeanors are eligible for expungement under KY law subject to some restrictions set forth below in the statute:

    Kentucky Revised Statutes



    Current through 2012 First Extraordinary Session

    § 431.076. Expungement of criminal records for those found not guilty of crimes or for whom charges have been dismissed with prejudice

    (1) A person who has been charged with a criminal offense and who has been found not guilty of the offense, or against whom charges have been dismissed with prejudice, and not in exchange for a guilty plea to another offense, may make a motion, in the District or Circuit Court in which the charges were filed, to expunge all records including, but not limited to, arrest records, fingerprints, photographs, index references, or other data, whether in documentary or electronic form, relating to the arrest, charge, or other matters arising out of the arrest or charge.

    (2) The expungement motion shall be filed no sooner than sixty (60) days following the order of acquittal or dismissal by the court.

    (3) Following the filing of the motion, the court may set a date for a hearing. If the court does so, it shall notify the county or Commonwealth's attorney, as appropriate, of an opportunity for a response to the expungement motion. In addition, if the criminal charge relates to the abuse or neglect of a child, the court shall also notify the Office of General Counsel of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services of an opportunity for a response to the expungement motion. The counsel for the Cabinet for Health and Family Services shall respond to the expungement motion, within twenty (20) days of receipt of the notice, which period of time shall not be extended by the court, if the Cabinet for Health and Family Services has custody of records reflecting that the person charged with the criminal offense has been determined by the cabinet or by a court under KRS Chapter 620 to be a substantiated perpetrator of child abuse or neglect. If the cabinet fails to respond to the expungement motion or if the cabinet fails to prevail, the order of expungement shall extend to the cabinet's records. If the cabinet prevails, the order of expungement shall not extend to the cabinet's records.

    (4) If the court finds that there are no current charges or proceedings pending relating to the matter for which the expungement is sought, the court may grant the motion and order the sealing of all records in the custody of the court and any records in the custody of any other agency or official, including law enforcement records. The court shall order the sealing on a form provided by the Administrative Office of the Courts. Every agency, with records relating to the arrest, charge, or other matters arising out of the arrest or charge, that is ordered to seal records, shall certify to the court within sixty (60) days of the entry of the expungement order, that the required sealing action has been completed. All orders enforcing the expungement procedure shall also be sealed.

    (5) After the expungement, the proceedings in the matter shall be deemed never to have occurred. The court and other agencies shall reply to any inquiry that no record exists on the matter. The person whose record is expunged shall not have to disclose the fact of the record or any matter relating thereto on an application for employment, credit, or other type of application.

    (6) Inspection of the expunged records may thereafter be permitted by the court only upon a motion by the person who is the subject of the records and only to those persons named in the motion.

    (7) This section shall be retroactive.

    Cite as KRS 431.076

    History. Effective: June 20, 2005
    Amended 2005, Ky. Acts ch. 99, sec. 648, effective June 20, 2005. -- Amended 2000, Ky. Acts ch. 426, sec. 1, effective July 14, 2000. -- Created 1996, Ky. Acts ch. 374, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1996.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  2. You need to contact a criminal defense attorney. These can most likely be expunged but they will all have to be expunged in the county where the case was dismissed.

  3. You should be able to get most of these dismissed. The sooner the better as a future charge/conviction may prevent expungement. I suggest hiring local counsel to assist you.

    Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics