Skip to main content

Is it possible to find out if someone left me money?

Beverly Hills, CA |

A multi-millionaire living in the apartment below my apartment recently died. His family lived on the east coast, so the only way he was able to live in his west coast Beverly Hills apartment until his death (rather than move to a nursing home) was through my help. He may have left me something. But more than six months after his death, I have still heard nothing. I keep calling los angeles courts "indexing" department at (213) 974 5175, but no case index number has been filed for his probate.

Is there any other way to find out if he left me something?

Attorney Answers 1


You can initiate a probate proceeding yourself, but it might be a waste of your money ... the court filing fee is approximately $375 and you will need to file a "Notice of Probate" (using the court-mandated format) in a local newspaper that has been designated by the Court as a "newspaper of general circulation". You will also need to notify all of his nearest living relatives (sisters, brothers, children of deceased sisters & brothers).

You can do this yourself - I doubt that a lawyer would be interested in assisting you unless you are able to show to a 99.99% certainty that you are entitled to a share of the estate (since the law prohibits a lawyer from collecting a fee in a probate matter unless the Judge okays it).

You can find out how to probate an estate by consulting Nolo Press's book on California probates, which is probably available at your local library. Be aware that the court-mandated forms change every January 1st, so you'll need to get up-to-date forms or your petition will be rejected.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics