Is it possible to file a lawsuit against southwest for public humiliation, and how much do i stand to recoup?

San Jose, CA |

Let me start by saying I have cel phone video of this whole event! I was blocked from boarding a plane. I had been stranded in Atlanta overnight. Next day when i got to Denver I asked to board the plane priority because I felt exhausted and hadnt slept. She called police and doctor to check me out. Got my blood pressure tested and missed my flight. They said i could board on next plane but refused and told me to get another carrier after i told them i was gonna sue for humiliating me. I was told to lawyer up and excorted out of the airport. Obviously I incured massive cost with last minute ticket and big time. humiliation.

1. It may not be as easy as you think, but take the video to a personal injury attorney to review.

2. That sounds horrible, but more facts are needed such as why you were blocked from boarding the plane, why the police were called. This type of question would be best answered in a face to face meeting or at least a telephone conference with an attorney. Good luck.

This information is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only.

3. It really depends on why they blocked you from boarding the plane in the first place. I would take the video to an aviation attorney and have them go over all your options.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

4. As the facts unfold it is likely that you will find that TSA and not the specific airline is the entity that you will need to make a claim against. TSA is a very difficult target. There is broad info here about traveler's civil rights and other tort claims: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/civil-rights-travelers

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

5. You left out lots of details so there is little here can be done for you. FWIW, nothing in your post suggests you have any case at all. Maybe your vidoe will tell a more complete story---best of luck to you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

6. There is not one continuous event, but the cell phone coverage may be very helpful. It appears that both you and the unidentified person in Denver and you agree that you had some medical problem. Please take to heart the advice given you by my esteemed colleagues.

7. Some more details would be helpful. Contact one of the above lawyers to investigate

Civil rights topics