Is it possible to extend a Discovery deadline?

New Carrollton, MD |
Filed under: Family law Discovery

I've been representing myself pro se, but at this point I'd like representation to help me because my ex is a masterful liar, and she had the master at my pendente lite hearing completely fooled. I have all documents, i have witnesses who want to speak on my behalf, photos, text messages, every email ever sent, but my discovery deadline is coming up and I still haven't picked an attorney yet because I'll need at least another week to get the full retainer fee together.....I was wondering if It is possible to request an extension on a discovery deadline?

I have been representing clients in divorce and family law for years, and it never ceases to amaze me how supposedly upstanding and reputable people start lying in the most awful way when they really, really want to win at court. Judges and Masters hear lying all the time in court. Sometimes they discover it and punish the liar, and sometimes, as in your case, they do not discover it, and so the victim of the liar must put forth more effort to prove the liar is lying and prove the truth. You are right to be concerned about discovery deadlines because they can have a tremendous impact on your case. Discovery extensions can be obtained sometime, but it depends on the circumstances, and specifically what you are dealing with. You need to have a consultation with an attorney, and after giving to your attorney all the relevant facts, you can receive all the good advice you need. It is helpful if you select an attorney you feel comfortable with, an attorney who takes the time to explain how the law impacts the facts of your case, and your options in making strategic decisions in your case. If your attorney gives you good explanations, you will have a full understanding of your case and this will assist you in making good decisions. If you would like to have good legal advice, you may reach me at (410) 381-1656. I would be pleased to help you with your legal objectives. I am located in Columbia, not far from you, and available to help you in Prince George Circuit Court, if that is where you have your case. David Mahood, Esq.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Thank you, yes my case is in PG circuit court, Is there a particular time your office opens? I'd like to call this morning for sure.

David Raymond Mahood

David Raymond Mahood

As you can see, I am available to speak with you now. If you call, the line will come to me and we can discuss your legal objectives and what you need to accomplish in your case.

Recommended articles about Family law