Is it possible to extend a Discovery deadline?

Asked over 1 year ago - New Carrollton, MD

I've been representing myself pro se, but at this point I'd like representation to help me because my ex is a masterful liar, and she had the master at my pendente lite hearing completely fooled. I have all documents, i have witnesses who want to speak on my behalf, photos, text messages, every email ever sent, but my discovery deadline is coming up and I still haven't picked an attorney yet because I'll need at least another week to get the full retainer fee together.....I was wondering if It is possible to request an extension on a discovery deadline?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Raymond Mahood


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I have been representing clients in divorce and family law for years, and it never ceases to amaze me how supposedly upstanding and reputable people start lying in the most awful way when they really, really want to win at court. Judges and Masters hear lying all the time in court. Sometimes they discover it and punish the liar, and sometimes, as in your case, they do not discover it, and so the victim of the liar must put forth more effort to prove the liar is lying and prove the truth. You are right to be concerned about discovery deadlines because they can have a tremendous impact on your case. Discovery extensions can be obtained sometime, but it depends on the circumstances, and specifically what you are dealing with. You need to have a consultation with an attorney, and after giving to your attorney all the relevant facts, you can receive all the good advice you need. It is helpful if you select an attorney you feel comfortable with, an attorney who takes the time to explain how the law impacts the facts of your case, and your options in making strategic decisions in your case. If your attorney gives you good explanations, you will have a full understanding of your case and this will assist you in making good decisions. If you would like to have good legal advice, you may reach me at (410) 381-1656. I would be pleased to help you with your legal objectives. I am located in Columbia, not far from you, and available to help you in Prince George Circuit Court, if that is where you have your case. David Mahood, Esq.

    This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,408 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,408 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering