Skip to main content

Is it possible to do my taxes without identification but a valid social security number?

Visalia, CA |
Filed under: Business

I have been working for about 7 years now and never did my taxes because I don't have valid drivers license or Id. I have a valid social security number and a very old elementary school Id that has my picture,DOB,and my thumb print. Is there any way I would be able to do my taxes this year with the little resources I have to prove my identity? I am not able to get a valid Id because of my legal status. I was not born in US,brought here as a child,and I have no birth certificate from Mexico let alone identification from that country. Please help!

Attorney Answers 3


Well I think you should consult with an immigration attorney about your legal status. Regarding your income taxes, I believe some tax preparers may ask for ID, but some may not. If you have a valid ss# and the tax documents you need I do not know that you absolutely need a state-issued ID. You also could prepare your own tax returns but based on what you say here I don't know that would be the best idea if you do not know what you are doing. At least if you visit with a tax attorney you will have the benefit of confidentiality so that could be a good first step.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


The IRS and the State of California only require a social security number on a filed tax return. Take your tax documents to a tax preparer and have your tax returns prepared. You may be losing your right to refunds by not filing your tax returns.

Good luck!
Phillip M. Smith Jr.
Los Angeles Tax & Business Attorney
Licensed in the United States Tax Court
Main: 323-292-4116 ❘ Cell: 562-505-1004

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in Los Angeles County. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. His phone number is 323-292-4116 or his email address is

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


All you need to file taxes is a social security number. If you have that, you're able to file.

Good luck.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics