Skip to main content

Is it possible to convert my US tourist visa to an immigrant visa for me to stay for good?

Los Angeles, CA |

i want to stay for good

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It depends on your circumstances. Let's say that you enter into a bona fide marriage to a U.S. citizen. In such a case, your spouse can sponsor you for a green card.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally


Check this article



It may be possible, although it likely will be difficult at best. To find out about your options, if any, you would need a consultation with a licensed, experienced immigration attorney, to whom you could provide more information about your background, education, work experience, family ties in the U.S., any prior criminal and immigration history, etc.

You may wish to review the various ways of obtaining residency (a green card) on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service's website to see if you think any of those may apply to you:

For assistance locating an experienced immigration attorney for a consultation, you can look here on Avvo, at,, or

Best wishes,

Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the specific person(s) and situations involved are known to her. Ms. Doerrie recommends consulting with an immigration attorney regarding your specific facts and circumstances prior to making any legal decision or submitting any form or application. This response does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer!


If you have a basis to get a green card. You would need to have a family based petition, an employment based petition etc. You can't just simply "convert" a tourist visa.

More about the bases:

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.


Of course it is, provided you are in a bona fide marriage to a United States citizen, or are the parent of a United States citizen. Those relationships will result in you being an "immediate relative" and you will be eligible for adjustment of status (green card), provided of course there are no grounds of inadmissibility such as crimes, etc.
Mind you, you will be eligible for a green card, even though you may have become out of status, that is overstayed your visa.
For more information, consult with my firm.


Agree with my colleagues. If you entered the US legally and have the possibility of entering into a bona fide marriage with an American citizen, that would be one possible way of immigrating.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer