Is it possible to convert my US tourist visa to an immigrant visa for me to stay for good?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

i want to stay for good

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

24

Answered . It depends on your circumstances. Let's say that you enter into a bona fide marriage to a U.S. citizen. In such a case, your spouse can sponsor you for a green card.

2. Wolf W Kaufmann

13

Answered . If you have a basis to get a green card. You would need to have a family based petition, an employment based petition etc. You can't just simply "convert" a tourist visa.

More about the bases: http://www.wolfklaw.com/html/visa_solutions.html

Wolf W. Kaufmann
    Southern California Immigration Attorney
    www.wolfklaw.com
    951-710-3250

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.

3. Jennifer Doerrie

14

Answered . Hello,

It may be possible, although it likely will be difficult at best. To find out about your options, if any, you would need a consultation with a licensed, experienced immigration attorney, to whom you could provide more information about your background, education, work experience, family ties in the U.S., any prior criminal and immigration history, etc.

You may wish to review the various ways of obtaining residency (a green card) on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service's website to see if you think any of those may apply to you: www.uscis.gov.

For assistance locating an experienced immigration attorney for a consultation, you can look here on Avvo, at www.aila.org, www.ImmigrationLawHelp.org, or http://www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer

4. Houman Varzandeh

12

Answered . Of course it is, provided you are in a bona fide marriage to a United States citizen, or are the parent of a United States citizen. Those relationships will result in you being an "immediate relative" and you will be eligible for adjustment of status (green card), provided of course there are no grounds of inadmissibility such as crimes, etc.
    Mind you, you will be eligible for a green card, even though you may have become out of status, that is overstayed your visa.
    For more information, consult with my firm.

5. Curtis Frederic Pierce

10

Answered . Agree with my colleagues. If you entered the US legally and have the possibility of entering into a bona fide marriage with an American citizen, that would be one possible way of immigrating.