Is it possible to change your court date after receiving a pink summons?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Queens Village, NY

I recently got a pink summons for being in the park late at night, however I cannot attend the date assigned for a court appearance. What are the chances of me being able to switch my court date to a more convenient time? Is it better for me to hire a lawyer if I cannot attend the court date?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ryan G. Blanch


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You should ask your lawyer to make a hardship showing and see if the date can be moved. Depending on the judge it can be difficult but we have been successful in the past. Often it depends on the reason for the need to chage dates.

    As we don't know enough about your case, you should not consider my answer to be legal advice. You would need to... more
  2. Thomas Arthur Kenniff

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . What I usually do in these situations is have my client complete an affidavit authorizing me to appear on their behalf. Depending on the charge and the court, judges in NYC will sometimes even let an attorney resolve a minor criminal case without the client being there.

    Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

    Yours truly,

    Tom Kenniff

  3. Alan Lloyd Joseph

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You will need to contact the court directly. Usually the court will grant a postponement for good cause. If you can not appear, an attorney may be able to handle the case without the need for your appearance provided you give him the appropriate authorization.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal court

A criminal court tries only criminal offenses, such as theft, assault and battery, or drug possession. Civil courts handle civil cases, such as lawsuits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,936 answers this week

3,653 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,936 answers this week

3,653 attorneys answering