Is it possible to change an ankle monitoring company before starting?

Belmont, CA |

I was sentenced for 120 days w/ankle monitor due to a dui. While the court order mentions a company that I should use, I did some research and I found a company that better suits my needs. My lawyer said that it'll take a couple of weeks to change companies, and that since my next court date is next week I should just go with it....

The other company I've found is better for my needs (using cell gps rather than a landline) and is approved by the courts in CA.

Is my lawyer correct?

BTW, the case is in Los Angeles Sup. Court.

You will need court approval to alter a court order. Ask you attorney if the prosecutor will sign an agreed order to substitute one company for another. Listen to your lawyers advice. If you don't agree with it seek a second opinion.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

In California, your attorney will need to motion up your case before compliance is required and have the Judge change the order.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

This would have been better to address before sentencing.