Is it possible to change an ankle monitoring company before starting?

Asked over 1 year ago - Belmont, CA

I was sentenced for 120 days w/ankle monitor due to a dui. While the court order mentions a company that I should use, I did some research and I found a company that better suits my needs. My lawyer said that it'll take a couple of weeks to change companies, and that since my next court date is next week I should just go with it....

The other company I've found is better for my needs (using cell gps rather than a landline) and is approved by the courts in CA.

Is my lawyer correct?

BTW, the case is in Los Angeles Sup. Court.

1. Seth Andrew Weinstein

4

Answered . In California, your attorney will need to motion up your case before compliance is required and have the Judge change the order.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

2. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

4

Answered . This would have been better to address before sentencing.

3. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . You will need court approval to alter a court order. Ask you attorney if the prosecutor will sign an agreed order to substitute one company for another. Listen to your lawyers advice. If you don't agree with it seek a second opinion.