Is it possible to change an ankle monitoring company before starting?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Belmont, CA

I was sentenced for 120 days w/ankle monitor due to a dui. While the court order mentions a company that I should use, I did some research and I found a company that better suits my needs. My lawyer said that it'll take a couple of weeks to change companies, and that since my next court date is next week I should just go with it....

The other company I've found is better for my needs (using cell gps rather than a landline) and is approved by the courts in CA.

Is my lawyer correct?

Additional information

BTW, the case is in Los Angeles Sup. Court.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In California, your attorney will need to motion up your case before compliance is required and have the Judge change the order.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  2. Nicholas Milan Loncar

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This would have been better to address before sentencing.

  3. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need court approval to alter a court order. Ask you attorney if the prosecutor will sign an agreed order to substitute one company for another. Listen to your lawyers advice. If you don't agree with it seek a second opinion.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,195 answers this week

3,332 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,195 answers this week

3,332 attorneys answering